The winners of the regional leg of the 2018 Western Cape Prestige Agri Awards were announced this week and received recognition at an awards ceremony at the Goedgedacht reception centre outside on the Riebeeksrivier-road on the 7th of September.
The Western Cape Prestige Agri Awards are presented annually by the Western Cape Department of Agriculture in partnership with Shoprite, in an attempt to recognise agricultural workers’ valuable contribution to the sustainable growth of the South African agricultural sector. What started as a regional competition with 36 entries in the Hex River Valley in 2002, has now grown to a national event with 1200+ entries from 15 separate regions.
Agricultural workers are nominated in one of eleven categories by employers, management teams, farm committees or co-workers, after which each entry is evaluated according to its individual merits by a panel of agricultural experts, that also conduct interviews with the competitors to test their knowledge in their respective fields.
The Swartland’s category winners will compete against the Western Cape’s other regional winners, after which the overall Prestige Agri Awards winners will be announced at a gala event later this year.
The Swartland’s regional winners who received recognition at last week’s ceremony included:
- Winner: Frederico Leaton Galawe (Franki’s Vineyards)
- Runner-up: Koos Esau (Chalala Farms)
- 2nd Runner-up: Fernando Poedel (Welbeloon)
- Winner: Hendrik Johannes Swarts (Welbeloon)
- Runner-up: Deon Lukas (Kloovenburg)
- 2nd Runner-up: Sammy Nero (Majuba)
- Winner: Dawid du Toit (Wynkeldershoek)
- Runner-up: Willem Johnson (Kloovenburg)
- 2nd Runner-up: Gerrit April (Waterbron)
- Winner: Fabian Xsavail Cloete (Wynkeldershoek)
- Runner-up: Jacobus Lewies (Panorama)
- 2nd Runner-up: Benjamin Brendon Geduld (Welbeloon)
- Winner: Sergio Lameyer (Welbeloon)
- Runner-up: Natasha Nadia du Toit (Franki’s Vineyards)
- 2nd Runner-up: Andries Michiel de Kock (Riebeek Kelder)
- Winner: Isak Bartman (Kloovenburg)
- Runner-up: Sinethemba Msitho (Riebeek Kelder)
- 2nd Runner-up: Jonathan Philander (Chalala Farms)
- Winner: Thembile Griffths Ntloko (Riebeek Kelder)
- Runner-up: Yvonne Mentoor (Welbeloon)
- 2nd Runner-up: Jan Heynse (Kloovenburg)
BEST PERFORMING FARM
- Hendrik Swarts (Welbeloon)
AGRI WORKER OF THE YEAR 2017
- Isak Bartman (Kloovenburg)